Sunday, October 15, 2006

Go Get Em' Tigers!

For those of you who know me, you know I grew up in the Motor City. However, having lived in the St. Louis area for the past 24 years makes it look a bit suspect if I get all cranked up over the Detroit Tigers going to the World Series this year. But I must admit, I am awfully proud of the hometown team, even if I honestly can't name a single player on the team. I know how much this means to my hometown. In fact, about the only thing that Detroit and St. Louis have in common, besides cars and German immigrants, is their love for their sports teams! Detroit fans, like St. Louis fans, are incredible people...loyal to the max and willing to wait a LONG time between championships. In fact, my sainted grandpa, John Bennett, used to say that the Tigers only won the series "once each generation just to keep the fans hopeful and loyal." And here they are again! Back for the first time since 1984 to go for the championship!!!

Now, the question does remain... who will I root for if St. Louis (presently up 2-1 on the Mets) makes it into the Series??? Well, that will be hard. To be honest, I'll probably root for the Cards... but there will be a teensy part of my heart that will be hoping that Jim Leyland and his boys can bring one home for this generation of fans in Detroit. And I'll have to dig out my blue hat with the "classic D" on it if they succeed...... cos' you know, you never REALLY leave home!

No comments: