Sunday, November 16, 2008

Fireside Chats

This isn't exactly what Carol's stove looks like, but the hearth area is
similar. (sans the bear rug on the floor! yikes!) Next time I go, I'll take a camera!

I spent a happy 2 hours tonight with my best friend Carol Gaunt. Now Carol has a woodburning fireplace sort of stove in her family room. It is possibly one of the coziest places on the planet. I sat there toasting my toes and talking with her while rocking in a comfy rocking chair near to the hearth. As I got home later and reflected on my evening, it made me smile. You see, Carol is only just lighting her fireplace this year! It's been in her house since she moved into it almost 6 years ago, but until this year she didn't light her fireplace. Two winters ago we had a big ice storm. And it's taken that long for Carol to get the chimney checked and everything she felt needed to be done in order to eventually use her stove just in case there's another ice storm in the future.

Tonight, as we sat there talking and toasting, we laughed about all the things we each have on our personal "to-do" lists that seem to only get longer with each passing season. But just for tonight, we enjoyed the fact that Carol & Doug have checked the one called "get fireplace working" off their list! It is a great place to sit and I plan to do it repeatedly this winter! So here's to friends with cozy hearths! May the logs burn bright and conversation never run out!

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Sounds like fun! Don't ya just love the crackle and popping of the logs in a fireplace? I always close my eyes and can imagine a colonial home sounding JUST like that ... except they would of course have had dinner cooking over the same fire!