Monday, September 06, 2010

September - Summer Sighs Away

Here it is.... September! Oh my!

While we've been at school for 3 weeks now, my grandson Gabe will be starting 3rd grade tomorrow! Does anyone out there remember 3rd grade? I don't, but since I can multiply, I am sure that somewhere along the way, I went to third grade! I don't even have any idea who my teacher was although I know my daughter cares VERY much about who Gabe's teachers are each year. Isn't that funny? The things we as parents deem SO major and life changing, may very well turn out to be something that our kids won't even remember when they get to be our age! (or maybe 3rd grade was so traumatic that I blocked it out!)

So what DO I remember from being 8? I do know that I got a piano in the third grade and I started taking lessons. It was a huge investment for my parents. The instrument was a Baldwin and cost $800 in 1963 - which probably represented a sizable portion of my father's annual salary in those days! The other big event of my 8th year was the arrival of my baby brother whom we adopted in November. He became ours on the same day that JFK was assassinated, a totally surreal conjunction of events that made me one of the few people my age who was NOT in school on the day that happened and hit the news.

Project Give-Away update: This week was spent getting ready for harvest. And the big thing we gave away was about 30 lbs of grapes to the Rhodes/Moody family who came out to the vineyard and shared some delightful time with us on Saturday night. I guess that counts for the project and it was totally fun. Then tonight, I gave BACK a dress that had been Gret's back when she was in high school... no, she's not going to wear it, but she has an interesting need for an old dress from her past.

Pool is still hovering around 78 degrees... and with the nights getting cooler, keeping it warm is becoming a true solar blanket challenge! I don't WANT that part of summer to end! I love the pool!!!

1 comment:

DawnK said...

I'm 50 years old and still remember the names of my elementary school teachers! I had Mrs. Pairron for 3rd grade. What I remember about 3rd grade was losing my purse at school and having them say over the PA system, "Will the little girl who lost her purse, please come to the office?" I was very put out that they called me a little girl. At the ripe old age of 8, I didn't feel so little anymore! LOL! Really don't remember much else from 3rd grade, though! I probably learned multiplication and division facts that year, too!

For my kids, they both had the same 3rd grade teacher and both years I helped out with spelling words, typing them into the computer, to make personalized spelling lists for each kid, by the end of each 7-week session with the words.

I also helped correct all those worksheets with the multi/div facts, too! She always gave me nice presents for helping, too!

Now that both of my daughters are in college, 3rd grade seems like a long time ago for them, too.