Monday, September 25, 2017

I Think I'm Gonna Like it Here, or "Summertime Extended"


In the musical Annie, the cute little orphan lands in Daddy Warbucks' mansion and sings a song celebrating how much her life has changed for the better. I feel a little bit like that kid today. I am back at school of all places as I say this, and I am watching a room full of high school juniors taking a practice ACT test, but I also have time while my eyes are on them to do a little blogging.  

In my last post, I shared a little about our "new adventure" into owning a second home in a place where we one day hope to retire. This weekend, we "bunked out" and scooted up North to escape the heat of Saint Louis. As it turns out, Michigan was experiencing its own "extended summer with temps in the upper 80s pushing toward 90. (still cooler than in the Lou!) Friday was a half day of school for us,  and on Thursday night Ed said, "Let's go North tomorrow!" With nothing holding us back and a light day coming up on Monday (another half day) I said, "Okay!"

So we grabbed the dogs and by 12:30 we were in the Subaru headed northward. We arrived by 8pm to find our grandkids in the driveway waiting for us. Well, they didn't really know it was going to be us, their dad kept them in the dark about what he was up to as they went for an evening bike ride, timed to coincide with our arrival. The result was a delight- their faces lit up as they saw us pull in and they yelled, "What are you doing here?!" (to which we answered - "We live here-it's our house!")
What followed was a weekend that went fast and was TONS of fun. The greyhounds were, at first, not quite sure about what to make of this new place, but as you can see they quickly "got adjusted" and found spots to chill out!

We also got to attend our first ever grandkid sporting event. Grandson Asher is on a middle school level cross-country team and he had a meet early on Saturday morning. He ran a new PR for his 2 mile race and knocked a full minute off his previous best time. As former cross-country coaches, you can bet that Ed and I were really proud of him!!




 In the afternoon we grabbed the gr to put in some quality time on the beach! Could not believe I was swimming in Lake Michigan on the 23rd of September. The lake felt wonderful and based on the crowds of families doing the same thing, we were not alone in celebrating this 'extra weekend' of our summer.

Following the beach we headed off to Cabana's for ice cream cones. It's the most popular spot for ice cream in St. Joe, a mom and pop place that is bravely holding its own against competition from a Kilwin's  located nearby. They have great ice cream, all locally made, and at prices that beat Kilwin's to smithereens! I got my standard Mint Chip while Rhylah snagged a scoop of something called Michigan Potholes, featuring chocolate ice cream with chunks of awesome dark and milk chocolate swirled into it! Could be gramma's next new favorite.
Beach baby with snacks.

It's September 23rd & I am IN Lake Michigan!

My mint chip and Rhy's Michigan Pothole
at Cabana's

 Later that same evening, Ed and I took a walk as the sun went down. We walked just two streets to the west of our house and found our way onto Old Lakeview Drive, a street where every home faces the expanse of Lake Michigan. It is sidewalk lined so we strolled with the greyhounds as the sun was dipping low and finally sinking into the lake. What a treat to get a little exercise while enjoying lake breezes and gorgeous skies! It was a perfect day.
Ed and Marlowe strolling down Lakeview Drive.

So now I get what Annie was singing about in that musical. Having this spot to escape to on random free weekends is going to be a HUGE plus for Ed and I. I really think we're gonna like it here! 

A PERFECT sunset - just one of MANY shots I took - expecting to
have an album of these views, eventually




No comments: