Saturday, March 05, 2011

Bye-bye Big Box.... Hello Curry!

        Tonight we had an adventure... we found a really good new Thai restaurant IN ST. CHARLES COUNTY! There is a reason for the capital letters here. Generally speaking, St. Charles is NOT known for its diversity of eating establishments. If you want something beyond the standard Italian, Mexican, or Chinese assortments of eateries, you generally have to hop in your car and drive into St. Louis City to find that sort of eating adventure. But tonight... ta-da... we happened upon the Thai Kitchen at the Cave Springs exit in St. Peters and I had some of the best food EVER! All I was really craving was a good Spring Roll... but then I decided to try the Curry! Oh MY! This little international gem of a dining spot is going to become a new favorite, I am certain. Very nice decor, small, wonderful wait staff... and all around GOOD food! I think my taste buds will find many things to entertain them here on future visits.

Now to the bye-bye part of the post. As most of you know, Borders Books is in Chapter 11 and restructuring in hopes of avoiding a total bankruptcy. Well, our local Borders is one of the stores being liquidated. We popped in there tonight and the place looked as if it had been looted! It made me incredibly sad to wander around the shelves where I used to spend hours browsing and see things scattered here and there but most everything gone. Then I started to feel the irony of it all... Remember when Borders or its brother Barnes moved into YOUR neighborhood? Think back... it's been awhile since they became the big boys on the block. They pushed out almost all the little indy-booksellers and edged out all the competition as soon as they rolled into town with their flashy storefronts, cozy chairs, and delectable coffees and goodies. We all ran to them like crazy and the little guys were left behind. Isn't it incredible that the big box boys are being marginalized by something that comes in a little box? Welcome to the next era of books... and small booksellers. Now that we can get anything (practically) that we want on an e-reader; we may find ourselves having to go back to the little bookshops that are left when we want to buy an ACTUAL book! Now, THAT, my friends is irony! Excuse me now, I have a new book on my Kindle that I am dying to get started!

1 comment:

DawnK said...

We really try to buy books from indie booksellers. In fact, when we couldn't get to the indie bookstore around here, before a baby shower, Sarah got on the internet and found one, on the way to the shower and we went there instead.

Since the local bookseller closes by 5:30pm, and I was working until 5 or 5:30pm, it was next to impossible to get there. Plus it's 12 miles away, too. On the day of the shower, it was the wrong direction, too. We were going south. It's 12 miles west. So, we still bought from an Indie, anyway.

Sarah bought a book, when we were in St. Louis, but she looked up bookstores that time, too. We went to Left Bank Books on Euclid.

I know what you mean about spring. I'm so ready for it, too. Warmer temps are starting to make a dent in the snow cover, finally. Supposed to get up to 50s on Thursday. Unfortunately, I have to work most of the day. Bummer.

Hope you can jump-start your classes.