Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Few Words About St. Patrick

Let me start by saying that saints and their stories have always fascinated me. I know, not a very Lutheran thing to be fascinated by, but there it is. When our travels have taken us to some of the ancient cathedrals in places like Rome, Florence, Canterbury, and Dublin, I am drawn to the artwork and sculptures depicting the saints. I am impressed by how their stories are designed to uplift us and give us hope.

So today is, of course, all about St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland. I proudly donned my orange (being of the Protestant persuasion) and wished my fellow Lutherans a happy St. Patrick's day. Sadly, very few have ANY clue about the guy. A few knew he had something to do with snakes... and Ireland... and wearing green? Nah! For most Americans this day is about green beer, pinching folks not wearing green, and a meal of corned beef and cabbage.

So I am proud to say that I have been to St. Patrick's Cathedral... both in New York City and in Dublin, Ireland. I have seen the place where he is supposed to have baptized people and I have read the things about him that the Irish people admire. The guy was amazing. He was tireless and determined to bring the Christian faith to the "pagan" folks of the Emerald Isle. So here's to you St. Patrick! We could use more guys like him today.

 St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin... and the stone found under the cathedral in the 1800's thought to go back to when St. Patrick led worship on this site long ago!

No comments: