Thursday, January 29, 2009

Stuff I Don't "Get"

This is not an all-inclusive list... in fact, if anybody out there is reading, feel free to add to my list via the comments section. Today presented me with several things "I Don't Get...

1. how my students can have 2 days to relax and enjoy snow and come back A) tired and B) with unfinished homework!
2. why one kid needing to use the restroom causes 10 others to need to "go and do likwise".
3. how 10 out of 21 of my AP kids can choose the same prompt out of 22 possible choices on a list and then not imagine that as I slowly go insane grading them it won't make my red pen bleed on them even more!
4. why schools feel they can pile greater responsibility on our students yet turn around and not offer them greater trust/respect/privileges.
5. how my kids can bear up as they SIT for 6 hours per day! I would be DYING!
6. why we don't have more than one snow day built into our school calendar in a state where people are paranoid about driving in 1'' of snow.
7. early risers (as in pre-6am)
8. people who think sports REALLY matter in the long run.
9. why anyone would want to go sky-diving.
10. how it is possible to consider recalling all the peanut butter shipped from Georgia!

2 comments:

+gmjameson said...

Hey. I get up at 5:10! ;-)

DawnK said...

I sometimes wake up at 5:30, because I need to go to the bathroom, and then take the dog out, but I usually go back to bed again! LOL!

Emily had to do a research paper this past semester that had to be at least 2500 words long. Hers was longer. There was a range, but I can't remember the upper number anymore. When she actually had to write it, she set a goal of writing about 850 words a night, so that it would be done by the end of the week. Her topic was puppy mills and she got a 97% on it! I'm a proud mama. She even got good scores for word choice and "voice", which sometimes brings her down! She was happy, too.